Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Terrible Avocado Experiment: Things get interesting...

Well it is Wednesday, which means update time! And this time I will even include pictures, woohoo! Anyway, again not much has really happened, but it's only been just over a week, so I guess not much is going to happen. Here are the pictures for the update.

This is the can in my window, as you can see not much has changed. The water has turned a rust color, and ants seem to like it, but that's about it. As you can see it is getting plenty of sun, as it is in a south facing window. And anyone who is anyone knows the sun rises across the southern horizon in the northern hemisphere!

This is the can outside that is in the soil. I found a worm while digging outside so I put it inside too, as well as some compost. Added a little water, and now you can't even see the seed, although it is just below the surface.

Can # 2 outside, also the control of this experiment. It lost the most water (for reason that are pretty obvious if you know science-y stuff, but if not, it's because of evaporation and a lack of cover). It might just be me, but I kind of get the feeling this one isn't going to make it very long. I don't know, what do you think?

And last, but certainly not least is the seed in the makeshift greenhouse. This one, not surprisingly, lost the least amount of water (see explanation for can #2, then know that condensation, or basically rain, is why it lost the least amount of water). However, I have my doubts about this one as well, mostly because I don't know if it's getting the nutrients it needs, if any. But if that was the case, I guess the one in the soil would be the only one to do anything...

Well there you have it, another wonderful update on the terrible avocado experiment. Leave comments with what you think will happen, or any other questions or suggestions you might have. So until next time, thanks for tuning in and bye for now!

Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Terrible Avocado Experiment: The Genesis Plus

As promised I am going to update everyone on The Terrible Avocado Experiment. Unfortunately I Procrastinated and didn't take any pictures, so I will upload those tomorrow with some explanations for them. Nothing much has changed, seeing as it's been less than a week since I've started, but there are a couple things I'd like to mention anyway. 1st, I need to be sure and water them more often. The can sitting outside with no cover and no soil was nearly empty when I checked it today, and that cannot be good. Secondly, and you will see it with the photos I upload tomorrow, the can under the tupperware blew over the night I set everything up, so to remedy that I simply piled rocks around it. This will prevent it from blowing over again, but still lets in the light from all angles as before. Other than that, not too much has happened. i just have to be a little more active in the experiment and make sure they have enough water every day. Otherwise this experiment will go all wrong, and I can't let my fans be disappointed.

So once again, thank you to all my fans and followers for all your support, I never would have made it here without you. I'd also like to give a shout out to Atley who inspired me to start this experiment in the first place and all the pointers he's given. Thank you all, and to all a good night!